I’m Still Hopeful and Optimistic
If you have time please view the full slide show of Pete Souza’s photos from White House.gov. It’s beautiful Here.
- Well, it was bound to happen. The DS (Dear Son) has gone all fashion on me. Now this is normally the DD’s aka “The Diva’s” job, but for the past two weeks it was the DS that has been bugging me to take him to the mall and for a pea coat of all things. This is the same kid that I can’t get to put on a light jacket in 15 degree weather. Color me confused, but not for long, adolescence is kicking in and I guess the whole ‘clothes make the man thing’ or at least gets you noticed is starting to become apparent with his set. Eek. Why me? I’m so not mature enough for this job.Well, being this late in the season it was no easy task finding a pea coat. Sell outs everywhere.Finally, late Saturday night success! In the store he slips the coat on, goes to the full length mirror and smiles suddenly giving me a glimpse of the young man that I’ll have to let go of very soon.“So what the big deal with this coat?”, I ask. “Why do you have to have it now?”He looks at me like I surely don’t have a brain in my head and says, “Mom I can’t go around looking like a bum with Barack Obama being president now can I?”I just smile. “No sweetie, surely, you can’t. Now do you have a belt on, care to pull those jeans up a bit more?”Yep, Change has come…Best,KwanaP.S. I never posted a pic, but I did finally finish knitting the DS’s after Christmas hat right before his birthday. Here it is:
- Welcome President And Mrs. Obama!
And what a welcome it was. Yesterday was all I dreamed it would be and more. A day full of joy and emotion. I was so happy to be able to share it with my family. The sweet call from the DH right before Barack took the oath made my day.
The president’s inauguration speech was a call to arms for all of us that could not be ignored. I loved it when he said it was time to put away childish things. Amen. Time to grow up everybody. Stop being petty, put childish differences aside and do what you have to do for what is right.
And how happy am I that fashion is BACK! Michelle hit it out of the park. I thought she was so beautiful in her Isabel Toledo walking suit. That golden color out shined everyone. And the woman can even accessorize with color well. She may even get this New Yorker in color looking that good. Maybe.
And her white Jason Wu ball gown was ethereal.
She was floating as they danced to At Last sung by Beyonce at the Neighborhood Ball. This had to be the most romantic presidential dance yet. A collective Aww… heard around the world. With the champagne flowing in my house I had to get up and dance too, pulling the DH and the DS to dance with me. I could not contain my glee and the Dear Son could not stop laughing at me. Oh well.
The hard work is ahead in so many ways but I’m feeling so inspired. How about you? I hope I’m still a little giddy when I go back to regularly scheduled posts.
P.S. What to keep the good times rolling? Check out this video thanks to Sula by Will. I. Am. Thanks Sula!
- What’s Jack up to? Oh that Jack, what a stinker. When our backs were turned yesterday and we were out shoveling snow (again) I see him come and peek at us by the door and then disappear. Hmm… he usually hangs and watches. Oh well, I should have known something was up. By the time I got back in the house Jack had gotten into the trash where he had sniffed out the remnants of the kid’s birthday cake and had pulled it all out to the floor and was having a ol’ time. Ugh!Today is the day and I could not be happier! What a dream come true. My kids have the day off from school so we will be in Harlem today with Nana having breakfast and watching the inauguration. There will be plenty of cheers and tears.I still remember the chill I got when I first heard Barack Obama speak at the DNC 4 years ago. I knew then he was something special and I was seeing our first Black president. It’s so good to hear the DH say now that I called it. As a wife I just love that. Here is a little bit from that speech.And here we are now. Whew. I’m overwhelmed.My prayers go out to our new president, vice president, their families and the entire administration. To all of you that worked so hard making calls, putting up signs, talking to neighbors and friends or just getting out the vote, thanks so much. No matter what side of the aisle you are on I hope that this is the beginning of better days ahead. We need them. See you tomorrow where we can ‘chat’ more.
I hope everyone had a good weekend and are enjoying the Martin Luther King Holiday today, spending time with your family, thinking of what you can do for your fellow man and reflecting on the values of Dr. King. This holiday is especially special with what will take place tomorrow with the swearing in of our 44th president, Barack Obama, his victory made possible by the efforts of the great MLK.
Of course the world does not change overnight but I’m feeling so hopeful and proud of the very significant change that will take place tomorrow. A New Day is coming. How will you welcome it? Me? I will with a grateful heart.
What Jack up to? Jack is celebrating of course! It’s extra treats all around.
Today my joy is almost immeasurable. A new day is truly dawning. When I cast my vote yesterday for Barack Obama I could not stop myself from grinning. The promise of America felt like it was being fulfilled and now it looks like it actually has.
This country, much of it built literally on the backs of slaves, will now be lead by an African American. This is an amazing day. A great day. Dreams that I have for my children and possible grandchildren are now so much closer that I feel a can just reach out my hand and touch them.
There is a new standard of excellence. The bar has been raised to the highest point, not lowered or left at the same spot and I am so thankful for that. A CHANGE has come.
Go on out and help organize your community. It does a country good.
The work is just beginning and the healing starts with the children. The world is changing. For the better.
- What’s Jack up to? He’s currently driving me batty by relentlessly squeaking the squeaker on his new toy. I have a feeling said toy may get “lost” real soon.
Last week I received the most lovely gift from a blog friend of mine, Brown Girl Gumbo. Life:The America Journey of Barack Obama is a hardcover book filled with amazing photographs and wonderful words chronicling the Senator’s journey. I’m so proud to have it grace my coffee table.
Thanks so much Brown Girl! If you want to check out one of the coolest fashion, celeb and beauty blogs ev-ah pop on over there. I know you’ll be a hooked as I am.
Did any of you see the Barack-omercil last night? Bold move huh? Hey, it’s getting down to the wire. Time to pull out all the stops. Use what you got to get what you need. I love that saying.
Here’s a little funny (sort of serious) as we get closer to get you thinking as if you’re not already.
P.S. Did anybody see Top Design and Jeff Lewis from Flipping Out shoot the zingers? Ouch. I’d have loved to see Jonathan Adler belt him one. He is too much!P.P.S.Shout Out to my friend author Marley Gibson. You all know Mar! From Her Sorority Series and her up coming Ghost Huntress book. Well tonight she and her hubby Mike will be on the premiere episode of MY GHOST STORY on the Biography Channel at 10pm. Check Marley and Mike out. How cool is that!
- What’s Jack up to? As I type this late at night he’s sleeping like a baby. One would never know all the mischief he gets into in a day.So did you watch? Of course you did. You had too. What else was on, Law and Order?I tell ya, one more wink and I was ready to jump through my TV and give her a shake. And all that fake folksiness was making my teeth hurt. It was a night of winks, silly quips and question avoidance. But a shameless plug for imaginary future power had to get thrown in. Scary.
Danger Will Robinson.The woman wants power with a capital P. That is clear.
Just check out her shoes. 3 clicks of the heels? But, props to her for standing in them for an hour and a half.Oh, and not for nothin’, but that sweet baby sure keeps late hours. I’m just sayin’.
pics thanks to AP
On the up side, look what I got. My Obama lawn sign finally came in. It was on backorder. Yay! This is the first time I’ve ever made such a bold political statement and I’m proud to do it.
Now the whole neighborhood knows who I’m going for. Humph. As if they didn’t know before.
What are your feelings on the news that John McCain wants or wanted to suspend this Friday’s planned debate with Barack Obama. Is it a maverick move or is he trying to pull the wool over America’s eyes? I suspect some ‘Blinking’ is going on.
I mean shouldn’t the future president be able to walk and chew gum? The debate is an hour and a half. He can do that and go to Washington if he really has to. The debate will be a chance for the American people to actually hear his real feelings and possible solutions if he has any for this crisis. Oh and if he’s suspending his campaign is he suspending his ads? Enquiring minds want to know.
My feelings can best be summed up my this comment taken from Politico.com and Mickey Edwards, Princeton lecturer and former Republican congressman:
“Oh, brother. What idiot came up with this stunt? It ranks somewhere on the stupidity scale between plain silly and numbingly desperate. McCain and Obama are both members of the senate and they’re both able to help craft a solution if they wish to do so without putting the presidential campaign on hold; after all, I’m sure congressional leaders would be willing to accept their calls if they have some important insights to impart. And while one of them will eventually become president, neither one is president yet, nor is either one a member of the congressional leadership; I’m confident that somehow the administration and the other 533 members of congress will be able to muddle through without tapping into the superior wisdom and intellect of their nominees. Sorry, john; it really sounds like you’re afraid to debate. This sounds like the sort of ploy we used to use in junior high school elections.”
Oh and when is Sarah Palin going have some real interviews with the press? That woman can get in and out of a car super fast. What, no stops at The Today Show while you’re all over New York this week. What up with that? My bad, she just dd and interview with Katie Couric. Way to go. 5 whole minutes.
Rant over. Scroll down for something more pleasant
What’s Jack up to? Shhh. Stinky Jack is getting a B-A-T-H. T-O-D-A-Y. Let’s keep it quiet while I lure him to the tub.
I have to say I had a huge problem with so many parts of the Sarah Palin/ Charles (Charrr-lee) Gibson interview, but what got me the most was the not blinking thing. The fact that she didn’t blink in her decision to take the VP job irked me. Shoot, I take a half an hour deciding to buy boots on sale at the outlets and she didn’t pause to think about this job? Did this cause anyone else to pause?
Well, leave it to The Daily Show to make me smile about it. Here we go…
Please everyone, blink a bit and VOTE wisely in November. You know which way I’m going. Obama baby!