- I’ve been surprised and honored to receive some very kind (though I’m not sure deserved) awards for ye ol’ blog here. On behalf of myself and the Jackster I’d like to give hearty thanks. Uh-oh here comes the ugly cry.The first was the Over The Top award from Christine from over at The Happily Ever After.
The Over The Top Award is given to blogging friends whose blogs you consider over the top, in a complimentary way, of course. As in, they are “far more than usual or expected; extraordinary.”
Now receiving this award tell me I need to go even further to be a little more Over The Top. Look out world I’m coming for ya! Thanks so much Christine. You can visit Christine here.
Before passing this award on I have to complete this little survey. Okay. I’m game.
Your cell phone? Blackberry StormYour hair? Hot MessYour mother? WildYour father? Passed awayYour favorite food? Too many to chooseYour dream last night? DeepYour favorite drink? coffeeYour dream/goal? To be happyWhat room are you in? BedroomYour hobby? Reading and Knitting and TVYour fear? So manyWhere do you want to be in 6 years? A multi published authorWhere were you last night? homeSomething that you aren’t? PatientMuffins? SometimesWish list item? Marc Jacobs Lisa bag.Where did you grow up? New York CityLast thing you did? Washed Dishes. So glamorousWhat are you wearing? Sweater and flamer pj’sYour TV? old. Really, it has a turn dial.Your pets? Jack the wonder dogFriends? sweetYour life? ComplicatedYour mood? ComplicatedMissing someone? alwaysVehicle? Ford EdgeSomething you’re not wearing? shoesYour favorite store? bookstoreYour favorite color? Green sometimes other times,black.When was the last time you laughed? Hmm… Must get on that.Last time you cried? Hmmm… sure it won’t be long now.Your best friend? LoyalOne place that you go to over and over? Bathroom. TMI?Facebook? 1 x a day. Not a huge fanFavorite place to eat? Johnny’s on City Island
Now I’m supposed to pass the award to 5 other Over The Top Bloggers. Okay Dokey!
Kate at Babbling about BooksJax’s Artistic Journey
Now the fun doesn’t stop there I received yet another award. Man, you’d think I starred in Precious or at least Avatar and was painted blue with all the awards.
I received a Beautiful Blogger award from Tia at Stoic which is a super cool blog that you really need to check out. Beautiful? Wow. Look at me blushing.
Now of course all things come with a little catch and you have to pay in order to play so here are the rules behind the award:
1. Thank & link to the person that gave you the award
Thanks so much Tia. You really are the fairest of them all. Link here.
2. Pass this award onto 15 bloggers you’ve recently discovered & think are fantastic.
15? I agree with Tia. These folks are not playing around but ok. Check out these cool peeps. Some may be a bit older than the rest but you won’t be sorry. Click away:3. Contact said Blogs & let them know they’ve won
Uh, don’t they have Google alerts for that? Sigh ok.
4. State 7 things about yourself
Come on. You people must be bored with me by now. Sorry if I repeat myself:
1. I can’t walk in heels. My feet instantly hurt. I wish I could though.
2. I usually have at least one twin pissed at me. Ugh. Parenting sucks.
3. I really love shrimp. Wish I had some right now.
4. I adore a good bath. I’d like a nice hot bath at having a nice plate of shrimp.
5. Throw some pasta with those shrimp and I’d be extra happy
6. Put it all in Italy and make my day. I really want to go there one day.
7. Maybe on a book trip?Whew. I made it. Thanks for reading and playing along. At least I hope you do. I really am honored to be thought of and so grateful to all of you who stop on my and hang with me every day.Best,Kwana
- Super brave American, Frau on a West Family Adventure in Germany was kind enough to bestow this Over The Top award on my blog. At first I thought it was Over The Hill (hmm sensitive much?) but now I know it’s a nicey nice blog award with a fun ONE word challenge. I look it as a fast and furious psyche test. Here I go:1. Where is your cell phone? Bed2. Your hair? Difficult3. Your mother? Ha4. Your father? Heaven5. Your favorite food? Rich6. Your dream last night? Lost7.Your favorite drink? Diet Coke8. Your dream/goal? Joy9. What room are you in? Bedroom10. Your hobby? Photography11. Your fear? Mediocrity12. Where do you want to be in 6 years? Bestseller13. Where were you last night? Movies14. Something that you aren’t? Calm15. Muffins? Banana-Nut16. Wish list item? Cartier17. Where did you grow up? NYC18. Last thing you did? Read19. What are you wearing? Jeans20. Your TV? Old21. Your pet? Wild22. Friends? Blessing23. Your life? Turbulent24. Your mood? Uneasy25. Missing someone? Sometimes26. Vehicle? Truck-light27. Something you’re not wearing? Shoes28. Your favorite store? Anthro29. Your favorite color? Green30. When was the last time you laughed? Yesterday31. Last time you cried? Recently32. Your best friend? Cherished33. One place that I go to over and over? Church34. One person who emails me regularly? BFF35. Favorite place to eat? Johnny’s
Now I have to pass the award along to six Over The Top Blogs that I really like. Too bad it’s only six. I like so many of you. Like Frau said, if you’d like to play along too, feel free to join in. If not, NO pressure. Cut and paste these questions to your post. Please let me know if you play along. Today’s picks are:
Ina in Alaska http://ina-offret.blogspot.com/
Amanda McCabe http://amandamccabe.blogspot.com/
Deidra at Jumping Tandem http://www.jumpingtandem.com/
Tam Styles at Get It Girl Style http://getitgirlstyle.blogspot.com/
Kate at Babbling about Books http://kbgbabbles.blogspot.com/
The Broke Socialite http://thebrokesocialite.com/
- What’s Jack up to? Jack’s a funny one. The poor dear is so confused this week with the Dear Twins coming and going at all hours of the day with it being finals and no set schedule. It’s seriously cutting into his normal rest time. I know it’s making me a bit nuts too Jack. Sigh.I was surprised when I hopped on over to one of my favorite blogs, Get It Girl Style and saw that I had won a Friendly Blogger Award from Tamstyles This was so humbling and cool coming from such a chic blogger like her. It’s also so nice to be thought of as friendly. I like that.Here is the award’s quote:This award is bestowed on to blogs that are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award.”
Pass along to 8 other friendly bloggers! I would love to put all of you guys down, but yall know how these work! You all are friendly and sweet to me on a daily basis. My giveaways are my way of showing you just how thankful I am to have the great, friendly, readers that I have!I do try and be friendly even in my honestly. I’m not one of those bloggers where it’s all Vaseline and soft focus. As a matter of fact sometimes there is no focus at all (my bad). I am here to give my thoughts, give a little taste of who I am, my style of writing, big up women, mothers, authors and the romance industry, oh and throw in a bit of whatever I’m thinking a the time.But in all that I don’t want to intentionally hurt anyone, assume I’m always right (we know I am. LOL) or create a space that belittles anyone.So thanks Tamstyles and thanks to you all for putting up with me.Now here’s the part where I pass it on to a few other bloggers that I think are friendly too:Please go and check out these wonderful and friendly bloggers. They’re nice and don’t bite. Much.Best,Kwana
- What’s Jack up to? Wild boy is having a fun time lately perched up high on the couch looking out the window barking at the world. He’s still not thrilled with me not taking him out as often or as long as he would like this past week but he’s been pulling a bit too much lately and the back can’t deal. I told you before Jack graduated from obedience training under ‘the no child left behind act’. But really, all is pretty good in Jack’s world.
Yesterday the nominations for RWA’s Rita and Golden Heart awards came out which is essentially the Oscars for romance books. Twitter was all a twitter and the message boards were on fire with congratulations all around. I’d like to say congrats too all the nominees.
I can feel my TBR (to be read) pile growing at this very moment.Here is the list of nominees for Contemporary Single Title Romance
No Good Girls by Jean Marie PiersonOut of Time by Samantha GravesSnowfall at Willow Lake by Susan WiggsSweet Talk by Susan MalleryTall Tales and Wedding Veils by Jane GravesTwenty Wishes by Debbie MacomberYour Roots Are Showing by Elise ChidleyKwana sidebar: Lisa Kleypas’ Blue Eyed Devil so should have been on this list. It’s my blog and I’ll say what I want to.In Bed with the Devil by Lorraine HeathPrivate Arrangements by Sherry ThomasSeduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa KleypasThe Edge of Impropriety by Pam RosenthalThe Spymaster’s Lady by Joanna BourneTo Seduce a Sinner by Elizabeth HoytWhere the Heart Leads by Stephanie Laurens
I don’t even know which way to turn here with so many of my faves on the list. Hello. Kleypas, Hoyt, James. Sigh. And the others I have not read yet but have heard very good things. So many books so little time.These are just two categories to get the full list you can go to the RWA site here. I like to give a big shout out Jessica Anderson, Yay! Gena Showalter and Roxanne St. Claire for their well deserved nominations. What a day!
If you haven’t already, please check out some of these wonderful authors.
- What’s Jack up to? Jack’s been enjoying being a wild dog. Having the twins at home this week has been exciting for him. He was full of energy as the wind whipped through his now too long hair on our afternoon walk yesterday.I want to give a big thanks to Product Junkie Diva for ever so kindly honoring me with a Your Blog is Fabulous Award. Isn’t this lady with her dog so chic? Please go and check her fab blog out here where she discusses her wonderful beauty product obsession. Thanks so much PJD! I’m quite humbled and so grateful to all my blog friends who stop by daily.I now have the pleasure of passing the award on to 5 other bloggers that I think are fab. This is tough as I admire so many of you, but here goes in no particular order:High-Heeled Foot In the Door– For her fab style and outlook on home decor.Babbling about Books-Katie knows books and loves to talk about them.Harlem Loves– Miss Stylishly cool. She helps to keep me hip from London or at least make me think I am sort of hip.I Pick Pretty– Because she’s pretty and snarky and I like that.
Ina J. Offret– Who knew Alaska could be so hot or have such cool peeps? Did you know they drink champagne there every Thursday just because it’s Thursday? Loves that!
Ladies please follow the rules and pass on the love to 5 blogs that you think are fab too.
Please be sure to check these fab blogs out. You won’t be disappointed.Best,Kwana
What’s Jack up to? Once again he’s working my nerves by going for the trash. You may think I’m nuts but I swear Jack knows how to push in the latch that locks the trash. That dog is too freakin’ smart for his own good.
So I’ve gotten an award. Little ol’ me. Can you believe it? Elizabeth from Scandalous Women was kind enough to bestow on me the Premio Dardos award. What’s that, you ask (I know, I asked the same thing) well, here’s the official rundown:
This award is given for recognition of cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values transmitted in the form of creative and original writing…that’s the general idea.
Here it is, more eloquently, in Portuguese:
O conceito deste prémio passa por reconhecer valores culturais, éticos, literários e pessoais, transmitidos de forma criativa e original nos pedacinhos rabiscados por cada blogueiro que o receba. Ahh pretty!
The rules of this award are as follows: show the image of the award on your blog, link back to the blog that gave the award, and nominate 15 other blogs that you consider deserving the same.
Now 15 seemed liked a lot to me but I put some serious thought into this and here are 15 blogs in random order that I really do j’adore and visit everyday. Shhh! Don’t tell the DH. I’m supposed to be writing, ok? Check them out. You’ll love them too.
P.S. I’m off for the New Jersey writers conference with the PIC this weekend yippee!!!
Have a great weekend!
- What’s Jack up to? He’s up and perky and once again I’m oh so tired. Must start getting some sleep. Well not today right, Jack? There’s writing to do today.
So, let’s get to why I’m so tired. Well, I didn’t get to watch Top Chef until the The wee hours of the night because I was out late. Where was I you ask? What, you don’t ask? How dare you! I’m telling you anyway. I was at the Bravo A-list Awards!!See, I got this email a while back that said: click here to win tickets to the A-list Awards and thought, okay. And crazy enough I won! Once I won I panicked. How could I go out on a Wednesday night? No way! I’ve got kids and way too many things to do. But I so wanted to go. They were being hosted my my fave, Kathy Griffin. I had to find a way.The lovely DH agreed to get home early and do kid run around duty. A was going to go with my Bravo fan and super fun attorney friend, W, but at the last minute she got stuck in court, doing good and saving the world. UGH! The nerve! It was down to the wire. I called another friend, neighbor and blogger, Wish List Mom, who had to pull herself and her kids together in no time flat in order to go with me.I drove from Westchester to midtown Manhattan in about 1/2 an hour (I think I’m ready for the Indy 500 now). All in time to hurry up and wait to get inside. Since we were late we were the last to get inside the venue. I was standing for well over an hour on 20 minute shoes. Ouch!While one line we made friends of course. Here are two of them, Patrick and Aarash who were so much fun to hang and wait with. Don’t you love Aarash’s hat and Patrick’s untied bowtie?While we were waiting there were 2 things going on, the A list awards and church service of The Journey Church which I had never heard of. Well, did they have a crowd! The longest line for church that I had ever seen. And who did I spy in that line? America’s Next Top Model cycle 6 Winner Danielle Evans. She was cute and casual in jeans and and burgundy top. I still Love Dani!
While we were on line we didn’t have a view of the covered red carpet and could only hear the cheers but I did see Simon from the Real Housewives of NYC. Ugh! But it was still fun to see him and sneer.
Finally we hobbled in on aching feet. The show was just starting Kathy was onstage singing and being Kathy in all her glory. We got seats upstairs and once we were settled we were happy.
Kathy did not disappoint. She was hilarious! Dissing all who dared cross her and cracking as up in the process. Telling us secrets to her Mona’s Basement dress and talking about her peekaboo bra. Be sure to tune in for her duet with Lance Bass. Too funny!
Who did we see? I can’t tell the full list, but all the faves were all there such as:
Tim Ginn, Christain, Tom C., Padma All the Top Chef Faves (although I didn’t see Tre), Margret Cho, Lauren Hutton, Molly Simms, Obama Girl, all the Housewives of NYC and California and the Supermodels. It was a fun time.
Bonus: For the Sex and the City ladies, remeber Dante from the movie? He was there!
Then it was back home and I could not go to sleep so I open my email and see that something not to good has happened on TOP CHEF. I had to watch. Here goes a quickie recap….
The show opens at the the airport and the are 3 faves and 1 villain with freshly washed and cut hair and I think plucked brows, but I’m not sure. The faves are all shocked by this.
We see that Padma is the only person that looks camera ready after the break. She knows where her bread is buttered everyone else has been living in the kitchen.
Quickfire challenge. Faves run to the table and villain runs to the pantry. Okay villain. Cagey.
Bottom two are: Antonia and Richard
Top two are:Stephanie and Villain, I mean, Lisa
The Winner is Stephanie!! Yay.
There is a party, but Richard is not ready to party he is all about winning. I hear that. The game is always on Richard.
Now the Elimination Challenge. Dang! That is a lot of pig.
It’s all pig all the time. A whole pig for each of them to cut up and make 3 dishes with.
And they get help from, Dale, Nikki, Spike and Andrew. All BFF’s of Lisa’s.
The trick is Stephanie as the winner of the quickfire gets to choose who gets who.
She takes Dale. Richard gets Spike. Antonia gets Nikki and Lisa gets… Andrew. That’s right the same Andrew that she ratted out. What does sweet Andrew say? That he’ll do what he can to help her win. But watch out, his eyes say she’d better not drink from an already opened bottle given by him if you know what I mean.
The sioux chefs go shopping as the chefs hang back to butcher the pigs ugh. Then it was manic prep time and Lisa’s true colors start to show.
In the craziness of the tight kitchen horror struck and Dale forgot to put one of Stephanie pans of pork in the fridge overnight. It’s ruined. Now I’m really worried. What if Stephanie has to go home. Mel-O-Drama why are you making me watch this!!!
Now Stephanie has to come up with another dish on the fly.
Dale and Stephanie pull together and come up with something. I won’t recap the dishes here. Let’s just say they all make a lot of pork. A LOT OF PORK!!!
Turns out even with coming up with an on the fly dish Stephanie is in the top 2 along with Richard. Yay!
The Winner is Richard. Good for him. He won a new car. His wife will be so happy. It will come in handy with the new baby girl!
Now for the bottom 2. Antonia and Lisa. The Not so Glad Room has been moved to sunny Puerto Rico to be just as sad. Lisa assumes she’s going home and Antonia is crying because she doesn’t want to go home. I’ve already got a bad feeling.
Just put me out of my misery. Judges please. Out this week is… Antonia.
Lisa rides another week. I’m numb to it all. But it doesn’t stop there. Richard and Stephanie are horrified to see their friend and who they feel is the better person go and Lisa gives them crap for not congratulating her! The nerve. How much did I love Stephanie’s dead pan expression? “well, congratulations,” she said with no emotion. Perfect.
Till next week and the finale. Who knows she may win it all. I won’t be surprised.
What’s Jack up to? He’s being his old self and and getting into all sorts of devilment. Climbing on top of the dining table on the sly to see if there’s any food he can steal. Jack get you butt down!! Next he’s jumping in and out of the empty bathtub. Like I need his dirty butt in my clean tub. Jack!!
So I was so excited to find out the the fab Melissa Walker picked my blog to win the Arte Y Pico award. What? Hold the phone! Not me? Totally undeserved. Look at how pretty it is. Thanks Melissa!
Here are the rules:
1. Pick 5 blogs that deserve the award for creativity, design, interesting material, and also contribute to the blogging community, no matter what language.
2. Each award has to have the name of the author and also a link to his/her blog to be visited by everyone.
3. Each award winner has to show the award and put the name and link to the blog that has given her/him the award itself.
4. The Award winner and the one who has given the prize have to show the link of Arte Y Pico blog, so everyone will know the origin of this award. (Espero que hable espanol!)
5. To show these rules.
So I guess it’s pay it forward time:
First up is pvedesign for her constant contribution to the art world. Everyday she adds something beautiful to her blog.
Next is Brown Girl Gumbo. I can’t make it without my daily dose of fashion and beauty. Brown Girl is always on the cutting edge of fashion. Check her out!
Third is Megan Frampton. My girl Megan is a writer, blogger and mother who always has something smart to say. And a good dose of male eye candy never hurt anyone. Clive Owen anyone?
Fourth I’m going international with Aurea. Mary-Laure lives in Paris and travels all over Europe snapping gorgeous pics, and lucky us, sharing it with the world. And her dog Benjy is too cute.
Lastly, I’m going to a design and decor blog that I love: My Notting Hill. Notting Hill always posts lovely and inspirational pictures that make me want to better my home or at least sweep the dang porch and buy myself some flowers.
These are the blogs that inspire me to try to do a little better. Thanks Bloggers! Now pass it on…
Coming Up: Reality RoundUp
- What’s Jack up to? Today he’s looking forward to a quiet Monday after the vacation week. It is going to be quiet right, Jack?So last night was Oscar night. Thanks to the writer’s strike being over it all went without a hitch. OK, well there were a few hitches on the red carpet but for the most part everyone did well.Our favorite judge Heidi was definitely not out with her gorgeous red number which will be auctioned off for charity. We love her for that.Red was the color of the night and worn well by many. Here are Katherine Heigl, Miley Cyrus and Anne Hathaway.
But for me, black is always the way to go. Jennifer Garner did it well here.The biggest surprise for me was the amazing Ruby Dee not winning best supporting actress. To me she should have won it years ago and her performance in American Gangster was just wonderful. Can you belive she is 83 years old? Just beautiful.The supporting actress winner, Tilda Swinton I’m sure did a wonderful job, but can we talk about this look? I’m all for individuality here, but, huh?Now lets talk about everyone’s favorite stripper with a heart of gold, Diablo Cody. How much we I love her snarky quick wit so evident in Juno that you need to watch it twice to get in all the jokes? And how much do we love the fact that she is and ex stripper who is now an Oscar winner? Wow. I also really liked the fact that Miss Diablo, who even got cheeky with Oprah, was at a loss for words and had to run off the Kodak stage because she was overrun with emotions. Aww.
Now the dress… I have no clue why she chose this. Maybe she wants to show she’s not a conformist and will not be tamed, hence the animal print, but come on. With that gorgeous skin and hair, her body was begging to be sheathed in a simple black column with a small train. Oh well maybe next year.As for the big Best Actor winner Daniel Day Lewis and his wife. I will not comment, but just say congratulations on a well deserved win.